Some Alternatives to Eviction in Butte County

evictionsEviction is a lengthy and complicated process, and probably a solution you’re reluctant to jump to when a resident is missing rent payments or violating the lease. Instead of beginning a long legal process to get renters out of your unit, there are alternative strategies you can use (that are not self-help evictions) to try take care of the situation before resorting to the eviction procedure. Double check what the necessary process for eviction is in your state to make sure you are in compliance with local Chico and Butte County laws. In our experience, evictions usually take 45-60 days, not to mention the time that passes before you start the eviction process. Here are a few more tools in our tool belt.

Talk With Your Residents First
How severe is the problem? Why do you feel they should move out or are breaching the lease agreement? If the issue is something besides missed rent payments, try to work out a solution with your resident. Plan to meet in a neutral location, and calmly explain the issue. Meeting in a neutral, public location makes it less likely for emotions to boil over or for one party to have the upper hand. Sometimes, residents may not realize how they’re violating the lease or damaging the home. If they’re understanding of the situation, try to come to an agreement about the situation and solve the problem.

Send a Legal Notice or Official 3 Day to Pay Rent or Quit
When multiple written warnings just aren’t spurring your residents into action, sometimes a legal notice from a local Chico attorney will do the trick to ‘scare’ them into good behavior. We have recommendations if you need a few names. The letter should explain the issue, how it’s in violation of the lease agreement, and the legal actions that could follow if there is no compliance. A legal notice, if effective, can prevent you from having to initiate an actual eviction.

Work Towards Finding an Alternative to Eviction
Perhaps your resident is unable to pay the rent because they’ve lost their job, owe medical bills, or can’t afford to move. Do you have a smaller, cheaper unit they could move into, or are you willing to lower the rent if they help you with maintenance tasks on your property? Approaching your resident with these solutions shows that you’re understanding of their situation, and they may be more willing to cooperate with you as a result. Include an addendum to your lease to reflect the agreement. Work out a payment plan, but be careful if you accept anything less than full rent, it may make eviction even longer if you do decided to go that route.

Paying them to leave aka Cash for Keys
If worst comes to worst, and you really want to prevent eviction if you can help it, a solution is to pay your resident to move out. If a renter can’t afford to move, or flat out refuses to move despite neglecting rent payments, offer a sum of money or forgive one month’s rent in exchange for an agreement to move out. Make sure you inspect the unit before the move-out, and get the agreement signed by your resident before the money is exchanged.

For specific advice or to schedule your own no obligation property consultation, drop us a note.